No, I’m not American!!! And I’m so tired of having to say that sentence over and over again.
When people here in Belgium, hear me speak English, they always ask me if I’m American. Like the Americans are the only ones to speak English in the world. I NEVER ever had anyone ask me if I was Canadian. I even got someone who asked me if I was British, go figure!
So I’m just going to point out 10 differences between us Canadians and Americans. I’ll be nice.
- Canadians will say “eh” pronounced “ay” after every freakin sentence (I’m guilty) , Americans start every sentence with “like” and end it with “whatever“.
- Canadians pronounce the letter “Z” –zee, Americans –zed.
- Canada has a Prime Minister, America a President.
- Canada has a “highway”, Americans a “freeway”.
- We call our 1$ a loonie and our 2$ a toonie. Americans just call them dollars or bucks.
- We have public health care insurance for everyone, gun control, and almost no history of slavery . America …well…
- Canada has provinces and territories, America has states.
- Canada produced Céline Dion. America ,Barbara Streisand.
- Summer starts for us when it stops snowing, in the States it’s in July.
- It is ILLEGAL in Canada to use the letter “O” without putting a “U” after it! (As in “Colour” or “Poutine“)
Ok, some of that wasn’t very nice, but it’s really hard “eh”, definitely after the Americans made the South Park movie ” Bigger, longer & uncut“. Oh yes, I’ve had to listen to people singing “Blame Canada“ many times. Thank you very,very much Mister Trey Parker.
Does anybody have any other differences?